Thursday, February 28, 2008
Are You Grounded?
We may have a lot going on in our personal lives which cause our stress levels to elevate. Add to that what is going on in our world and the levels increase even more so.
When we are experiencing feelings of stress, upset, anger, frustration or some other emotional form, we are ungrounded. Meaning our soul is not connected to our body. We are not experiencing in the 'now'. We are off thinking about other things. Being Ungrounded is usually a negative, but that is not always the case. Sometimes we are just off...somewhere else in thought, moving along in a daze, not paying attention. We experience Mental fogginess.
Anchoring your roots to the earth's healing energies can be achieved by learning how to relax and maintaining a balance within our physical and spiritual bodies. See my post on Balancing Your Chakras:Root. Have you ever been stressed and found yourself working out in your garden or felt the need to plant? Your hands working the earth, the soil. You are really grounding yourself. After you are done with this task, do you feel better? I know I do and enjoy working with soil, plants, even weeding.
We are spiritual beings, but sometimes we neglect our bodies. We need to care for the container of our spirit. Grounding brings to us health and well being. Usually grounding oneself can be done with visualization. See the exercise within the mention post Balancing Your Chakras.
Other Ways to Ground Yourself:
1) Learn to mediate, focus on your breathing. Inhale and exhale in a balanced rhythm. Be aware of this rhythm. Focus on the way you are breathing. This will bring your to the 'now'
2) Visulaize the color red. This color is associated with the root chakra.
3) Imagine you are wearing red shoes or slippers. Seeing red on your feet will remind you to stay grounded and bring your attention back to your physical self.
4) Hug a tree. Trees have deep roots
5) Imagine yourself as a tree and see your feet as roots deeply planted in the ground
6) Seating in a chair with both feet on the floor, your spine is straight. You are aware of your entire body in this position. Rest your arms on your thighs or on the arms of the chair. Notice your posture. You will feel strong and at ease. Allow the energy to flow through your entire body.
7) Saying Grounding Statements: If you are feeling stressed or another negative feeling, repeat to yourself...this feeling will pass, I feel strong and safe. Come up with your own grounding statement and repeat it to yourself or say it outloud.
8) Dance or sing a song that makes you feel good
9) Stump your feet. Feeling the power in your legs as your feet hit the ground.
10) Carry a smooth stone. Sometimes referred to as a 'worry' stone.
Create your own state of calm and comfort. Ground away those negative energies and bring awareness to your body.
Take this quiz to see if you are Grounded: CLICK HERE